AIM - Chris, the Boat and the Tormented Sea AIM - Chris, the Boat and the Tormented Sea

Played this a few times at work on the Office speaker since a few of us usually turn on the Classical Radio station in the morning. We all liked the piece, no one really had any criticism and I think it does fit the artpiece quite nicely. I'm not that grounded in theory so I can't really convey my thoughts fully in detail so I do apologise about the lack of info on that part.

So ayyyy, another great Solo Piece!

LucidShadowDreamer responds:

Oh nice, thanks for doing that! It's awesome to hear that everyone seemed to like it :)
Can't imagine it to be the most fun piece to listen to at work, but I'm sure there are worse ones, haha :D

Don't worry about not being a master of theory; neither am I. I just had fun composing the piece!
Thank you for listening, and for writing down your thoughts :333

AIM - Light Enduring AIM - Light Enduring

I've just been listening to this on loop for the last 25 mins or so while doing some last minute admin work before heading back home from work. It actually works out quite nice for background music since it's arranged and loops so nicely.

Plus that's such a damn nice Piano tone, is it a mixed patch?

Phonometrologist responds:

Nice! Well I appreciate you letting me know your thoughts on it. The piano is 8Dio's latest piano library: 1971 Estonia Grand. The UI does allow an individual to mix different piano patches, i.e. staccato, legato, etc. I implemented that in the middle section. But I also preverbed the piano in the beginning so I can get the notes to resonate a bit longer.

BRUCE: Bretta's Theme BRUCE: Bretta's Theme

Well you've definitely made good use of the Kontakt Factory Library, much better than I could pull off haha.

Big fan of the folk-esq overall atmosphere and the creative panning work you've done throughout the piece, it works so nicely with the Maverick supporting it aswell. Into the favourites it goes ;)

LucidShadowDreamer responds:

I mean, its the only thing I had with specifically Irish instruments (and I wanted to somewhat follow the description I was given, for the piece)! I'm glad it sounds okay :D
Thanks for listening, reviewing and favoriting!

I'll review your piece soon, once I get a few things done first :'3

An Fáinne Nua (The New Ring) An Fáinne Nua (The New Ring)

A nice solid Solo Instrument entry. Pretty daring doing it in AIM but I think you've got something here solid enough to fit with the art theme.

Only real complaint would be how the reverb occasionally resonates unnaturally at points and sounds weird through my speakers and headphones frequency-wise, but otherwise it's no biggie.

frootza responds:

Thank you Lich! A bit daring, I agree! I can hear what you mean about the unnatural reverb, it was tricky with my headphones but I know just what you mean! Thank you for the review!

INB4 Trouble INB4 Trouble

Ayyy this is pretty solid so far. I'm feeling the atmosphere of a dying space frigate slowly crumbling from damage and spiralling away into deep space.

Alarm pulses and delayed lead stabs are extra tasty to the ol' ears. Make some more haha.

Deshiel responds:

I'm glad you noticed that I was referencing alarm in there :D

AIM - Faith in Freedom AIM - Faith in Freedom

I did write a longer review out earlier, but I accidentally closed my tab haha.
Anyway, yeah this is a top-5 contender so far and probably for the rest of the competition.

Only things I could (personally) think of which I could think this could be improved:
- Adding some additional drive/saturation to some of the rythmic tonals on lower-note sounding inserts (the higher ones do this quite nicely already).
- Making some of the bass arp instances abit louder.
- Some additional stereo imaging to declutter, but still have all of your elements present in the 2:32-3:12 segment of the track.

Ayyy that's it really. Everything else is pretty damn solid. Nice work m8 ;)

I0TA responds:

Thank you for your thoughtful constructive criticism. :) Your entry is also fucking awesome!!!!

Thanks again for the kind words!!

As My Mum Used To Say As My Mum Used To Say

Puts Merzbow to shame.

Madness Vaccination Madness Vaccination

gr8 trak m8 i r8 8/8 bby xx

-:: Code Grey ::- -:: Code Grey ::-

Two halves here as there's certain parts I want to write about:

#1 - Atmospherically, my favourite section has to definitely be 0:52 - 1:23. The futuristic glitching along with the layered strings and deep-space atmosphere is something I absolutely love about this section. If you ever decide to revisit this project, you should strongly consider building a similar full song out of this section of the track. With some slow percussion backing it and some-way of dragging it out into a full song idea-wise, you'll have yourself another killer 5/5 track.

#2 - Regarding the rest of the track, there's a good assortment of rhythmic tonals which helps drive this piece forward and keep it interesting to listen to with the supporting glitch tonals. My main criticism is that the remaining segments of the track sound somewhat 'weaker' than your previous NGAUC upload by comparison (Single Complexity). It might be that it could start to get abit on the repetitive side for the last 60 seconds of the track with the repeating bass arp or I'm not hearing as much of the rich diversity which I'm used to hearing from alot of your other work due to how you've composed this particular piece (although the spaced-apart arp's pulsing in and out are quite nice and help the segment). Maybe I'm just sad that I can't hear those lovely hand pans in this ;)

Agitat0r responds:

Thank you for the constructive criticism review, Lich. :)

-:: Simple Complexity ::- (NGAUC '16) -:: Simple Complexity ::- (NGAUC '16)

Some tasty tonals going on here in the lower registry of the track, I love a good ol' bit of the crunch with a side dish of Rhythmic tonals and hand pans. The backing pads are subtle enough to leave everything else at the front while also contributing to the various fractal segments of this conjoined piece. The higher Square-esq arp's pulsing through the track is something I've always loved hearing in various pieces (including this one).

Good stuff here sir. Good luck in the competition!

Agitat0r responds:

The best thing about AEON is its arp maker and the mutator. The possibility of different arps with it is endless. Applying distortion and lofi with some low pass EQ and it's brutal.

thank you very much Lich. Good luck to you too! :) can't wait to check out your piece.